Saturday, June 22, 2013

Day 1 - Van Gogh Museum

After realizing that I had walked in the complete opposite direction than I wanted to when I arrived at the Anne Frank House; I decided to let the professionals handle it and took a cab to the Van Gogh museum.

The museum was fabulous.  Every painting they had was arranged in chronological order from earlier to later.     When you enter each room, there was a paragraph that you could read about what was going on with Van Gogh at the time, what was popular in art in general, and what artists he was studying with at the time.  The most famous paintings housed in the museum are Sunflowers and The Bedroom.  They also had a feature where you could see how they preserve the paintings and how because canvas was so expensive, Van Gogh would often paint over a lot of his paintings and they've used electromagnetic technology to kind of get an idea of what is below each layer.  My favorite painting was Seascape near Les Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer.  I bought a giant poster of it for €7.95 that will look awesome in my classroom.  

I've attached a few of the others that I liked, too.  The Seascape is the first one.  The second is Montmartre: behind the Moulin de la Galette, the third is Gate in the Paris ramparts, and finally the Pieta.  




No comments:

Post a Comment