Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 5 - The Rijksmuseum

Today I went to the Rijksmuseum which along with the Anne Frank House and Van Gogh Museum are the three must see museums in Amsterdam.  It didn't disappoint.  It was full of some of the most famous paintings in the world with a heavy focus on...you can probably guess...Dutch painters.  Here are a few of my favorites (they allow photography in there which I found weird).


La Corniche by Monaco by Claude Monet


Lighthouse in Breaking Waves by: Hendrik Willem Mesdag
What's cool about this painting above is that it caught my eye from across the room and when I got close I found out it was a painting of Scheveningen where I had visited earlier in the week.  


The Sea near Katjivk by: Jan Thorop

My painting appreciation is pretty simple.  Give me the beach and pretty colors and I'm in.  Dark oils and people I don't know, I'm out. 


This was neat.  It's huge in person (I'm a terrible judge of height but it's a lot taller than me), maybe 20 feet tall and it features all the 


So this picture could not do this painting any less justice AND I didn't make note of the author's name (poor fellow) but in the room leading to the picture below is 10 or so giant canvases all with stunning pictures similar to the one above.  What was really cool is that two of them were black and white oil paintings and they were commissioned by the king to show the strength of the Dutch navy.  


So this, is the masterpiece from Rembrandt, The Night Watch which was a painting of a group of Amsterdam militia guards.  I did get closer but once I did I was too close to get a good picture but I took these ones to give you an idea of the 292948 people that come to see the painting.


The hall leading up to The Nights Watch was pretty busy as well of course and also featured one of the 35 surviving paintings from Vermeer, The Milkmaid.


The museum from the outside. 


After every great educational experience you should always relax with Magners, potato and leek soup, and some Irish soda bread overlooking the canal.




No comments:

Post a Comment